I do most of my shopping at this health food store called Earthfare. They have everything a vegan family needs! They have vegan friendly toiletries, wines, desserts, etc. Their deli offers vegan nuggets, salads, sushi, and much more! I just love that place!
Anyway, so a few days ago, my daughter and I had lunch there. My daughter had a whole wheat grilled Daiya “cheese” sandwich with a side of raw broccoli and fruits. I had some vegan brown rice sushi, Mary’s Gone crackers and hummus. I don’t usually buy hummus because I just usually make them myself, but boy was I glad that I picked up the Thai coconut hummus from the deli! I instantly was addicted to it! It was spicy, it was delicious, tangy, and coconutty!
I told myself, “I HAVE TO TRY TO MAKE THIS AT HOME!” So, I looked at the ingredients and I was very excited to see that I already had most of the ingredients on the list! There were some things that I didn’t have, but I just improvised.
So, I made the hummus, it is not exact, but it is VERY similar. Both are deliciously awesome! And, I am happy to share the recipe with you!
- 4 cups of cooked garbanzo beans
- juice of 2 lemons
- 4 tablespoons of tahini
- 2 tablespoons of safflower oil
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons of organic tamari
- 2 tablespoons of Asian chili paste (garlic paste)
- 2 tablespoons of minced shallots
- 1 clove of garlic from an elephant garlic or 6 cloves from a regular-sized bulb of garlic
- 4 teaspoons of lemongrass paste
- 3 teaspoons of red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of Celtic sea salt
- 3 pinches of cardamom
- 4 to 8 tablespoons of organic sriracha (hot sauce) *note: this is optional and adjust to heat preference*
- Throw everything in the food processor and blend (except for hot sauce)!
- Add hot sauce and adjust heat to your liking. (note: if you want to make this for your young child, I would omit the hot stuff…I put a tiny bit of chili paste for my daughter’s hummus).
- Serve with fresh veggies, crackers, crusty bread, vegan naan, tortilla, etc.