My husband made this last week. It is yummy, easy, and quick!
So, if you are craving calzone, make it yourself! Make it vegan! You will enjoy it much more knowing you didn’t consume a ton of fat and cholesterol….not to mention contributing to cruelty.
- All natural pizza dough from the deli
- 1/3 to 1/2 a bag of DAIYA “cheese”
- 1 to 2 Italian Sausage by Tofurky (sliced/diced)
- Note: adding firm diced tofu would also be delicious….or spinach, garlic, mushrooms, bell pepper….get creative!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out the dough and flatten.
- Add “cheese” and Tofurky “sausage”.
- Roll it back up. Close it up. My husband just rolled it up like a burrito. But, you can roll it however you want to do it.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes…until the outside is golden and crusty and the inside is fully cooked (dough done, cheese melted, etc.)
This is how it looked before it was rolled up into a burrito calzone :)
Note: putting cornmeal on your pizza stone or pizza pan will help the dough not stick to it.
Some people stay away from over processed “cheeses” that have weird ingredients, but, I found that the ingredients in Daiya to be the best alternative (read below). I think it is better than the cow breast milk cheese because it does not have the hormones, casein, extra fat, etc. Dairy products are linked to cardiovascular diseases, osteoporosis, allergies, and even cancer.
To learn more, click here.
Info I got from http://www.daiyafoods.com.
Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds are giving a whole new meaning to word pizza!
Daiya is a deliciously dairy free vegan product that has an irresistible melt, stretch and taste. Daiya is a healthy alternative that you and family can enjoy on pizza, lasagna, nachos, or in any of your favorite meals and recipes at home.
3 cheers to helping you and your family look and feel your best!
Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds are made entirely from plant-based ingredients and are:
- Cholesterol free
- Trans Fat free
- Dairy free
- Free of all animal products (Vegan)
- Free of common allergens including:
- Dairy (casein and lactose), soy, gluten, eggs, peanuts and tree nuts (excluding coconut)
- Free of Artificial Ingredients
- Free of Preservatives
- Free of Hormones & Antibiotics
The full list of ingredients are as follows:
Filtered water, tapioca and/or arrowroot flours, non-GMO expeller pressed canola and /or non-GMO expeller pressed safflower oil, coconut oil, pea protein, salt, vegan natural flavors, inactive yeast, vegetable glycerin, xanthan gum, citric acid (for flavor), titanium dioxide (a naturally occurring mineral).
Baby and husband.
Here is the calzone that I made.
Directions: flatten out the dough (from the deli) and shape it into a an oval. Fill it up with vegan cheese and veggies of your choice and fold in half.
Filling: spinah, minced garlic, vegan cheese, Tofurky Italian "sausage", and diced onions.