Everyone in my family loves asparagus which makes me very happy. Not only is it delicious, it is highly nutritious!
Health Benefits of Asparagus:
- Digestive support
- Heart health
- Helps fight against cancer
- …..click here for more info….
So, eat your asparagus!
I usually use asparagus in vegan sushi, stir-fry, or just serve it as a side dish. But, today I wanted it to be the centerpiece of our meal so I made this sandwich. In addition to the awesome asparagus, I incorporated some healthy avocados in the mix. Avocados are considered super fruits. They help support cardiovascular health, they are anti-inflammatory, and they even help fight off cancer. To learn more, click here. So, this sandwich is extremely healthy and filling. It is refreshing, light, tangy, and crunchy. Today, I enjoyed it with some grape tomatoes, sweet potato fries, and some jalapenos that I had pickled myself. It was delicious!
Here is what you will need….
- tomato (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoon of balsamic vinaigrette
- celtic salt and pepper
- whole wheat bread or sprouted grain bread
Tangy Avocado Spread:
- 2 avocados
- 3 cloves of garlic (finely minced)
- 2 tsp liquid aminos (if you don’t have this, use a dash of sea salt)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
- Prepare asparagus: remove the bottom fourth of the asparagus.
- Heat oil on a skillet then add your asparagus and balsamic vinaigrette.
- Cook asparagus for 5-10 minutes in medium to high heat. Note: I like asparagus crunchy, so I only cook them for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to asparagus.
- Place the avocados, minced garlic, liquid aminos, nutritional yeast, and lime juice in a food processor and blend. You can also just place it in a bowl and smash the avocados and mix.
- Toast your bread, then build your sandwich: put avocado spread on bread, add sliced tomatoes, and asparagus. I used my old George Forman grill as a panini maker instead of a toaster.