…..I say “feast” because this recipe will serve up to 10 to 12 people…or more….
This is what I served up yesterday (Thanksgiving) to my family and friends. I love love love curry…and curry panang is even better! This dish has so much flavor not to mention lots of veggies, protein, and vitamins. I would like to say, that we, my friends and family, did not get together to celebrate “Thanksgiving”….we just simply decided to hang out on this day. I don’t agree with this tradition for so many different reasons. …over consumption, supporting a cruel industry, and supporting an ever growing problem of world hunger.
Please read this article: Thanksgviving
Anyway, here is the recipe:
- 3 cans of unsweetened coconut milk
- 6 to 7 medium sized red potatoes (diced)
- water …just a few cups…enough to cover the potatoes in the pot
- 2 packages of firm tofu (squared)
- 1.5 cups of peas
- 1 can of garbanzo beans (15 oz drained)
- 3 carrots (diced and unpeeled)
- 1.5 cups of cauliflower
- 1 cup of mushroom (sliced)
- 1/2 of a large onion
- 4 oz. of red curry paste
- 3 bouillon cubes (“NOT BEEF”, “NOT CHICKEN”, OR “VEGETABLE”)
- 1.5 tablespoon of garlic (diced)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh ground ginger
- 1.5 teaspoon of lemon grass paste
- 2 table spoons of olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of natural soy sauce (TAMARI or LIQUID AMINOS)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- cilantro for garnish
Boil water with bouillon cubes and potatoes for 15 minutes, then add carrots, garbanzo beans, and peas. In another pan, saute oil with onions and herbs (curry panang paste, ginger, lemongrass, nutmeg, cumin, and garlic). After the onions are a bit caramelized, add it in the pot with the veggies. Then, add the coconut milk and the all natural soy sauce to the mix.
In a different pan, cook squared tofu in olive oil or coconut oil until it is golden brown (it might take 20 minutes for the tofu to look brown). After it looks a little brownish, add the mushrooms and saute for a few more minutes. Don’t forget to add salt and pepper to tofu. You can use a bouillon cube mixed into a few tablespoons of hot water and add it to the tofu for seasoning instead of the salt.
Tofu with mushrooms
After the tofu is cooked, mix it into the pot of curry. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer together for another 15 to 20 minutes (low to medium heat). Make sure you are constantly stirring so the veggies or coconut milk do not burn.
Serve with quinoa or brown rice and top it off with some cilantro.
Side item: Thai vegan egg rolls.
*Note: to heat it up a bit, add some crushed red peppers.