I have a ton of organic zucchini in my fridge right now. My garden is producing so much of it and it makes me so happy because I heart zucchini! Not only is zucchini delicious, it also helps to reduce cholesterol, it helps prevent cancer, it is anti-inflammatory, it helps reduce blood pressure…the list just goes on…
We have been having lots of zucchini smoothies, zucchini guacamoles, and zucchini side dishes. I also plan on making raw vegan zucchini spaghetti this week. There are just so many things you can do with this wonderfully nutritious gourd.
Today, we made chocolate chip raisin zucchini bread. My daughter and I had a great time making it together. It was super quick and easy. I got the recipe from this website, but changed it just a tiny bit (a little less sugar and oil and using almond extract instead of vanilla). You can check out the original recipe here: http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/vegan-zucchini-bread/
- 2 cups of organic all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of organic whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup of oil
- 1/2 cup of warm water
- 1.5 teaspoons of almond extract (you can also use a teaspoon of vanilla extract instead, but I used a bit more almond extract to over a tablespoon just because I like the taste of it…just add a little bit at a time if one teaspoon isn’t enough for you)
- 2/3 cup of applesauce
- 7 tablespoons of ground flax seeds
- 1 and 2/3 cup of brown sugar
- 2 cups of shredded zucchini (I did this very quickly with my processor using the shredding blade)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of raisins
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 355 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix oil, water, flax seeds, almond extract, apple sauce, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and baking powder together.
- Mix the wet ingredients with the flour, then add raisins and chocolate chips.
- Grease two loaf pans then pour the batter into them.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes (I like the tops to be a little crispy).
- Serve with non-dairy milk, coffee, tea, etc.