In October, my husband, child and I flew down to Mexico to spend a little time in a wonderful little city called Playa del Carmen. I have to say that this trip was one of the best trips ever! As soon as we landed, we were greeted by some very friendly people to drive us from Cancun to the condo in Playa del Carmen. When we arrived at our condo, my daughter and I looked up at the sky and saw a beautiful shooting star. We looked at each other in excitement and smiled. I knew it was going to be an awesome trip!
Beautiful sunset after dinner.
<3 Playa Del Carmen. Playtime before dinner.
Husband kite boarding with Playa Board Sports.
My daughter and her daddy.
After our home school sessions, we would either swim at the condo or go to the beach club.
Enjoying the view!
My child and husband kayaking.
Taking a walk after dinner.
My husband and child playing.
It is easy being vegan in Playa Del Carmen!
Here are some of the dishes I made during our vacation:
Almond-crusted tofu with brown rice pilaf.
Beans, guacamole, seitan, and rice.
Creamy (nut-based cream) pasta with oyster mushrooms.
It wasn’t difficult to find places that carried specialty items and served vegan-friendly food. I wanted to share these places with you so, if ever you are in the area, you know where to go! :)
1. BIO NATURAL
2. We shopped at Mega (the Mexican Walmart is what people reffered to it) when we needed tools, kitchen utensils, toiletries, local fruits and veggies, etc.
3. DAQ FRUTERIA: I don’t have a photo of their store, but it is about 60 steps away from MEGA. They have everything from vegan “carne” asada, pasta, beans, quinoa, organic/local fruits and veggies to soaps and shampoos. And, there is a restaurant right next to them that serve yummy lentil burgers and awesome smoothies.
lentil burgers from La Cieba (next to DAQ)
Here are some of the restaurants we went to:
1. 100% Natural
100% Natural on 5th St
Delicious mushroom ceviche at 100% Natural
Vegan burger at 100% Natural
2. BIO NATURAL: We loved their falafel pita sandwiches and bbq tofu.
3. AH CACAO: I love their hot chocolate! And t even says VEGAN hot chocolate on their menu.
VEGAN HOT CHOCOLATE at Ah Cacao.
Vegan chocolate from Ah Cacao eaten with some delicious organic Goji Berries you can get at La Senda or Bio Natural.
4. LA SENDA
Eating some raw-vegan camote “cheesy” noodles.
Raw-vegan berry banana ice-cream at La Senda.
5. MOYO on 5th Street
They serve delicious soy yogurt!
I contacted MOYO to make sure they were vegan.
6. CURRY OMM
Vegan food at Curry Omm
vegan dessert at Curry Omm
7. LA FRUTA MADRE
FRUSHI at La Fruta Madre
8. One of my favorite restaurants EVER (not in Playa del Carmen, but in Cancun), is VEGAN PLANET (please refer to my “raw vegan pizza” post). They had awesome raw vegan dishes, desserts, candies, kombucha, clothing, nuts, and more!
9. We would also eat at random restaurants that would have meat-less beans, hot sauce, guacamole, tortillas and chips.
At the beach club:
Chips, guacamole, beans, and carrot/habanero hot sauce (yellow dip in the middle).
Here are some pictures of the places we visited:
Turtle in Akumal beach
Ray in Akumal beach
My daughter snorkeling in Akumal.
Amazing Cenotes near Akumal
My husband and child exploring.
On top of Coba
Cenote near Chichen Itza
I also want to add, one can never be too careful when using their ATM cards. Someone had “skimmed” our card and stole $3,000 within just a couple of days. Luckily, we got it all back through our bank.
Also, I wish tourists would watch THE COVE before going to the Riviera Mayas. There seems to be a few dolphin shows out there.
One of the last days before we went back to the U.S.
(walk after dinner)
Luckily, our trip was not dampened despite the whole “ATM card skimming” situation.
We left in December but are planning to return very soon! I can’t wait to go back! I am in love with Mexico. And, I am especially in love with Playa Del Carmen.
For more information on VEGAN-FRIENDLY places, you can also check out: http://www.happycow.net/north_america/mexico/playa_del_carmen/