I had some freshly sprouted mung beans in the fridge that needed to be eaten, so I decided to make a salad out of it for dinner. I have made something similar to this in the past but I have used quinoa, corn, spinach, and a different kind of dressing. But, this version is a bit more simpler. It is crunchy, filling, tangy, and creamy deliciousness! You have your beans, your grains, your veggies, nuts, etc. This is definitely super healthy!
Ingredients for the salad:
- 1/2 cup of quick cooking barley
- 1/2 cup of young mung bean sprouts (how to sprout mung beans, click here)
- 14 cherry tomatoes (sliced in half)
- 1 carrot (shredded)
Tangy and Creamy Dressing:
- 1/6 cup of almonds
- 1/4 cup of water (note: you can add more to adjust thickness of dressing)
- 1 tablespoon of flax seeds
- 4 cloves of garlic
- juice of one lemon
- Blend all the ingredients for dressing in your blender until it is smooth adding herbamare little by little until it is salty enough for you.
- Cook barley by following directions on the box/bag it came in.
- Drain the barley and set aside.
- Put all of your ingredients (barley, mung bean sprouts, tomatoes, carrots, and dressing) in a salad bowl.
- Toss and serve (either warm or cold).