In October, my husband, child and I flew down to Mexico to spend a little time in a wonderful little city called Playa del Carmen. I have to say that this trip was one of the best trips ever! As soon as we landed, we were greeted by some very friendly people to drive us from Cancun to the condo in Playa del Carmen. When we arrived at our condo, my daughter and I looked up at the sky and saw a beautiful shooting star. We looked at each other in excitement and smiled. I knew it was going to be an awesome trip!
It is easy being vegan in Playa Del Carmen!
Here are some of the dishes I made during our vacation:
It wasn’t difficult to find places that carried specialty items and served vegan-friendly food. I wanted to share these places with you so, if ever you are in the area, you know where to go! :)
1. BIO NATURAL
2. We shopped at Mega (the Mexican Walmart is what people reffered to it) when we needed tools, kitchen utensils, toiletries, local fruits and veggies, etc.
3. DAQ FRUTERIA: I don’t have a photo of their store, but it is about 60 steps away from MEGA. They have everything from vegan “carne” asada, pasta, beans, quinoa, organic/local fruits and veggies to soaps and shampoos. And, there is a restaurant right next to them that serve yummy lentil burgers and awesome smoothies.
Here are some of the restaurants we went to:
1. 100% Natural
3. AH CACAO: I love their hot chocolate! And t even says VEGAN hot chocolate on their menu.
4. LA SENDA
5. MOYO on 5th Street
6. CURRY OMM
7. LA FRUTA MADRE
8. One of my favorite restaurants EVER (not in Playa del Carmen, but in Cancun), is VEGAN PLANET (please refer to my “raw vegan pizza” post). They had awesome raw vegan dishes, desserts, candies, kombucha, clothing, nuts, and more!
9. We would also eat at random restaurants that would have meat-less beans, hot sauce, guacamole, tortillas and chips.
Here are some pictures of the places we visited:
I also want to add, one can never be too careful when using their ATM cards. Someone had “skimmed” our card and stole $3,000 within just a couple of days. Luckily, we got it all back through our bank.
Also, I wish tourists would watch THE COVE before going to the Riviera Mayas. There seems to be a few dolphin shows out there.
Luckily, our trip was not dampened despite the whole “ATM card skimming” situation.
We left in December but are planning to return very soon! I can’t wait to go back! I am in love with Mexico. And, I am especially in love with Playa Del Carmen.
For more information on VEGAN-FRIENDLY places, you can also check out: http://www.happycow.net/north_america/mexico/playa_del_carmen/