I have always loved cooked cauliflower. I love them steamed, stir-fried, curried, etc. But, a few years ago, my little sister Ivy, suggested I try eating them raw. So she gave me a recipe for a raw-vegan “popcorn” made from the vegetable. I have been meaning to ask her for the recipe again because I just could not remember everything I needed to make it. The only ingredients I could think of were the following: onion powder, nutritional yeast and olive oil. And, I find it difficult to get a hold of my sister these days, so I decided to improvise.
I was very pleased with the outcome of this “popcorn” and I couldn’t believe that it had taken me this long to make it.
I love the citrus tang and overall flavor of this delicious side-dish!
Also, this dish is healthy! Cauliflower helps fight diseases, it contains a lot of vitamin C, omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin K, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6 B9, and it is packed with antioxidants. Nutritional yeast packs a lot of B vitamins (B 6 and B12), protein, riboflavin, thiamin, niacin, folate, etc. (example: one serving: 1.5 tablespoons = grams of protein, 130% of B12 (DV), and 460% of B6 (DV)). So, I don’t feel guilty about eating the whole head of cauliflower in one sitting.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 5 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of lime or lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of braggs liquid aminos for salt (adjust to preference)
Note: for some heat, add a bit of cayenne pepper. Also, if you have DULSE granules, use a little bit of that (in replacement of salt) and reduce the amount of liquid aminos.
- Prepare cauliflower: slice, pull apart, and make into bite sized pieces.
- Place cauliflower, olive oil, and lime/lemon juice in a container.
- Shake it up.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Note: add ingredients little by little to adjust to your taste or preferred flavor (saltines).
- Shake it up again.
- Serve and enjoy!