The other day, my child asked me if I could make some cake and ice cream. So, I went to my pantry and freezer to see what I could whip up. I wanted to make something healthy and delicious for us, so I decided to make it raw! This was perfect because I had just re-stocked my pantry with raw nuts and fruits.
The “cake” is more like a raw-vegan blondie. It is soft and chewy with a hint of fruit and a little crunch. The “ice cream” is like chocolate soft serve ice cream with a banana-base flavor. Both are delicious and we just love them together.
Note: this is a large batch. This can serve up to 6 people, so if you have leftovers, store them in the freezer.
This kinda reminds me of my raw vegan chocolate brownie/cake post (one of my first posts).
Ingredients for the papaya cake:
- 1 cup of raw almonds
- 1/2 cup of apricot seeds
- 1/2 cup of macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup of dried papaya
- 12 pitted medjool dates
- 3 tablespoons of flax seeds
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla (all natural-alcohol free)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
Ingredients for the Chocolate “Ice Cream”:
- 3 frozen bananas
- 1/3 cup of frozen berries (I used a mixture of black berries, blue berries, and raspberries)
- 1 avocado
- 3 tablespoons of raw almond butter
- 2 tablespoons of all natural vanilla
- 3 tablespoons of raw agave
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of raw cacao powder (I just used 3 tablespoons. But if you like dark chocolate, add another tablespoon of cacao)
- unsweetened shredded coconut for topping (optional)
Note: if you don’t have the nuts listed above, you can substitute it for other raw nuts such as cashews, Brazil nuts, etc.
- Soak nuts in distilled water for a few hours.
- Drain nuts and place in the food processor with all of the papaya cake ingredients (almonds, apricot seeds, macadamia, dried papaya, dates, flax seeds, vanilla, and cinnamon).
- Blend in the food processor for a few minutes.
- Put the nut/papaya/date mixture into a pan and pack it tightly. *Mine pan was a 5′ x 8′ pan*
- Place in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Now you are ready to make the “ice cream”.
- Place all of the “ice cream” ingredients (frozen bananas, avocado, almond butter, frozen berries, vanilla, raw cacao, and raw agave) in your Vitamix or other high power blender.
- Blend for a minute until it looks like soft serve ice cream.
- Plate your “cake” and top it off with your chocolate “ice cream”.
- Top it off with some shredded coconut (optional).