My cousins, who are living in Germany, came over to visit yesterday. I wanted to make them delicious vegan food and my daughter has been asking for sushi, so I decided to make vegan sushi. Sushi is awesome! I love making it, I love seeing it, and I especially love eating it! When I make sushi, I feel like I am creating art! Not only is it beautiful, it is deliciously wonderful. There are so many possibilities with sushi. You can make it as simple and as elaborate and fancy as you want it. Plus, it saves you money if you make it yourself! I made 20 rolls of sushi yesterday (5 slices each). Now, if I went to a sushi restaurant, I could have easily spent over $7 per roll.
To make sushi, you need the following:
- bamboo sushi mat
- rice seasoning
- nori sheets
- sushi vinegar
- pickled ginger
- veggies (yesterday I used asparagus, sprouts, carrots, avocado, and cucumber)
If you are too lazy to get the tools individually from the store (like me), you can get the sushi making kit below. This, my friends, is how I learned to make sushi!
Sushi Chef Sushi Making Kit
This kit comes with a cookbook, a rice paddle, a sushi mat, nori sheets, pickled ginger, soy sauce, sushi rice, wasabi, and sushi vinegar. All you would need to buy are your fresh toppings.
Note: For a healthier sushi, you can use brown rice instead of sushi white rice and liquid aminos instead of soy sauce. You can also buy some crunchy Gardein Soy nuggets to stuff your sushi rolls with.
- Cook rice according to directions.
- When rice is cooked, add sushi rice vinegar (directions on the bottle).
- Add rice seasoning (I use JFC – Nori Komi Furikake (Rice Seasoning) 1.7 Oz.)
- Lay out your nori sheet.
- Add rice to nori sheet using rice paddle.
- Add your fresh toppings. You can do this on the rice side and make the nori sheet on the outside, or you can flip it over and make the rice on the outside of your roll.
- Roll with your mat.
- Slice and serve with wasabi, pickled ginger, and liquid aminos.
Also, every time I make sushi, I always serve it up with some “dynamite sauce”. It is a mixture of Vegenaise and sriracha (equal parts). It is delicious!
Another topping you can add to your sushi: Tempura green beans (click here for recipe)!