My husband harvested the last batch of jalapenos a few days ago and he got quite a bit from the small jalapeno plant. I noticed that the peppers were not as spicy as they were when the weather was warmer, so I figured I can make a dish using a lot and it wouldn’t be so crazy spicy. I am not a jalapeno plant expert, but maybe the spice level is reduced during cold weather (this year was my first year growing a jalapeno plant). Anyhow, I have been trying to figure out what to do with them for several days. I’ve thought about making a jalapeno casserole, jalapeno cornbread, and even sauteed jalapenos with tempeh. But, we have so many and I wanted to use it up as much as I could! So, I decided to make a large batch of burgers with jalapenos in it for our lunch and also to store in the freezer for the upcoming week.
I always love the “Southwestern” taste. I love the combination of cumin, oregano, chili peppers, avocado, tomato etc. These burgers are spicy, tangy, flavorful, healthy, and delicious! It is packed with multiple types of grains, protein, vitamins, and minerals.
For the side, I made sweet potato and purple french fries that I purchased from the farmers market.
My family and I were very happy with the outcome of these burgers. My daughter even said, “mommy, I REALLY like this burger!” NOTE: I made my 3 year old’s burger WITHOUT jalapenos….otherwise it would have burned her mouth.
So, here is what you will need for the burger patty:
- 2.5 cups of red lentils (5 cups of cooked red lentils)
- 2 cups of jalapenos (chopped) NOTE: if you have super spicy jalapenos, you might want to consider reducing the amount of jalapenos.
- 7 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 cup of quick oats (NOTE: I used a mixture of quick cooking barley, rye, oats, and wheat by Country Choice Organic Hot Cereal Multi Grain.)
- 1 cup of finely shredded carrots (I just used a cheese grater)
- 2.5 tablespoons of cumin
- 3 cubes of “NOT BEEF” vegan bouillon
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 1.5 tablespoons of oregano
- 1/2 cup of quinoa flour (if you don’t have this, use whole wheat)
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of coriander
- olive oil spray.
- Boil water in a large pot then add uncooked lentils. Cook for 10-15 minutes. Note: make sure you don’t overcook the red lentils because it will get way to mushy!
- Put 3 tablespoons of water in a cup with the 3 “Not Beef” vegan bouillon cubes and heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Mix it well and pour the mixture in a large bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix it all together by hand.
- Heat your oiled up pan/skillet.
- Form patties with your lentils and veggies.
- Place in your skillet.
- Cook in medium heat for about 3-4 minutes each side.
Purple and Sweet Potato Fries:
- 2 purple potatoes
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees.
- Cut potatoes into shape of fries.
- Place in a large bowl and add coconut oil, salt and pepper.
- Place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Tangy Avocado Spread:
- 1 avocado
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped cilantro (Note: I cheated, I didn’t have fresh cilantro, so I just used 1/2 a teaspoon of dried cilantro)
- salt and pepper
- Place all ingredients in a bowl.
- Mash together.
- You can use this as dressing for your burger.
Okay, now you are ready to build your burger. You will need:
- Wheat hamburger buns
- Sliced tomatoes
- Arugula (I got this from the farmers market as well,….you can use spring mix if you don’t have arugula)
Remember, if you can’t take the heat, just reduce the jalapeno or just don’t add any….it is still delicious without it!