Last week a friend of mine had us over her house to celebrate another friend’s birthday and she served us a delicious barley salad and fresh-baked bread. I loved the salad so much that I had to ask for the recipe. So, she sent me this link (Martha Stewart’s website): http://www.marthastewart.com/864334/barley-salad-squash-and-broccoli.
So, after a few days, I decided to make this dish. Unfortunately, I was not able to find organic acorn squash at the store down the street and I didn’t feel like driving 20 minutes to the local health food store, so I just used organic yellow squash instead. I also added a little bit more almonds and some garlic.
Check out the link above for the original recipe!….It is delicious!
My “tweeked” version is delicious just as well! So delicious, I am making it again and sharing it with you!
- 7 cups of broccoli
- 1.5 cups of quick-cooking barley
- 2 large yellow squash (chopped)
- 1 cup of chopped almonds (unsalted or raw)
- 1/2 cup of raisins
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of onion (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large baking pan, pour in your broccoli, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- In another large baking pan, pour in your chopped yellow squash, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Bake the broccoli for 15 minutes.
- Bake Squash for 20 minutes.
- While the veggies are baking, heat up a skillet/wok/pan (medium heat) and spray it with about a tablespoon of olive oil and add the chopped onions and minced garlic. Stir frequently so it doesn’t burn. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Cook barley according to package instructions.
- In a large salad bowl, pour in lemon juice, broccoli, squash, raisins, almonds, barley, salt and pepper.
- Mix together.