Today, I made some veggie hash browns with chili leaves as a side dish for a Gardein patty and eggplant burger. It was delicious and very easy to prepare. I usually make my own vegan burgers, but I just wanted something quick for today’s lunch. It took me thirty minutes to prepare, cook and serve. And, I would usually have more veggies on the burger, but I ran out of tomatoes, lettuce and sprouts yesterday.
I used chili leaves because I have never cooked with them before. My mom purchased it from the Asian store, when she was here for a visit, and left it in the freezer. I am not sure what she was going to cook with it, but I was curious about it. Surprisingly, it tastes very much like spinach. So, if you do not have any chili leaves, feel free to just substitute it with 2 cups of fresh spinach.
Ingredients for hash browns:
- 16 oz bag of organic hash browns
- 1 medium-sized bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 red sweet pepper chopped (optional)
- 1 small-medium white onion (chopped)
- 5 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons of dulse granules (optional)
- 8 ounces of chili pepper leaves
- 2 pinches of curry
- 2 pinches of cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon of oil (coconut or olive oil)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan (I used my awesome wok).
- Add onions and garlic. Sweat the onions for a minute, then add the bell peppers.
- After a couple of minutes, add the hash browns, dulse granules, curry and cumin.
- Cook and stir well for about 5 minutes.
- Then add sweet peppers and the chili leaves or spinach. Then, cook for a couple of minutes.
- Spray about 1 tablespoon on your griddle.
- Transfer everything on the griddle and flatten the hash browns.
- Cook for 10 minutes on each side in medium heat.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
You can top it off with some cayenne peppers, jalapenos, green onions, etc.
Gardein Patty and Eggplant Burger
What you will need:
- Whole wheat buns
- Gardein “burger” patties
- 1 eggplant sliced (1 inch thick)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of aged balsamic vinegarrette
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
- Cook the Gardein patties according to instructions on the back of the package.
- Mix olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and Italian seasoning.
- Place the sliced eggplant in a container and pour the oil and vinegar mixture in with it.
- Cover and shake for a few minutes.
- Heat up the pan and spray a little bit of olive oil on it.
- Cook the eggplant in medium heat for four minutes on each side.
- Place it in your gardein burger.
- Dress it up with your favorite condiments. Today, I used vegenaise and hot mustard.