My daughter consumes about 6 to 8 servings of fruits and veggies a day. She loves them! Her breakfast smoothies contain a variety of fruits and veggies. She likes to snack on them throughout the day. And, then she has even more veggies for dinner. But, there are some veggies that are still a little difficult for her to chew thoroughly, so she ends up taking forever to eat them. For example, yesterday she ate a bowl of broccoli and it took her a half an hour! So, what I did today, to cut down the “dining time” I decided to just blend the veggies in the processor.
Reasons to love collard greens:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- B vitamins
- And more!
Here is an idea to get MORE veggies in your kids meal.
- 1 box of organic quinoa veggie curly noodles
- 1 cup of pesto (click here for recipe)
- 2 bell peppers (today I used one large green bell pepper and one large red bell pepper)
- 6 large leaves of collard greens (veins removed)
Note: you could even add a half cup of broccoli. I just didn’t today because she already had a bunch of broccoli for lunch.
- Make the pesto.
- Cook the pasta.
- Add collard greens and bell peppers into the pesto sauce.
- Blend together for a couple of minutes.
- Warm the sauce (don’t cook it) and add the cooked pesto.
- Mix together.
- Serve and enjoy!
Here is another idea for you! You can try adding finely shredded carrots and fresh fruit to your child’s yogurt.
My daughter loves carrots, but again, it takes her a very long time to finish 1 small carrot. I also add carrots in her smoothies and in pasta sauce.