I love this soup! It is tasty, filling, and oh so good for you!
The veggies I used are organic, local, and what is in season (except for the organic carrots…that was from a few states away). I have to say, that this is definitely my favorite time of year. It is cooler, breezy, colorful, and festive. And, I just can’t say enough how much I love fall produce!
I am notorious for “throwing everything in a pot” and making it work. And, this dish is could be an example of that. I try to use as much veggies in a pot to make it more nutritious and colorful. And, if I know that a few of my veggies will start to go bad in a few days, I just throw those in too! I try not to be so wasteful.
Okay, back to the soup!
Notice that I do not have any “real” traditional noodles on the ingredients list. But instead, I used spaghetti squash.
Serves 4 to 6 people
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 package of cubed firm tofu
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 diced carrots
- 4 cups of chopped bok choy (Asian greens)
- 1 cup of purple potatoes (cubed)
- 1/2 cup of sliced bell peppers / sweet red peppers
- 5 cloves of minced garlic
- 7 cups of vegetable broth
- 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 to 4 tablespoons of liquid aminos (adjust to saltiness preference)
- 1/4 cup of green onions (diced)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons of toasted sesame seed oil (adjust to taste preference)
- Sriracha Asian hot sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger (finely minced)
- 1 package of vegetable miso cup soup mix (optional)
- Cook spaghetti squash: slice length wise, remove seeds, place in a baking pan face down, add water (about an inch high), bake for 30 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
- Prepare your veggies.
- Heat up a large pot and pour in your olive oil.
- Add onions and garlic. Saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add carrots, bell pepper, potatoes and ginger.
- Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, miso cup soup mix (optional), and tofu. Note: you don’t need the miso soup mix. I just used it today because I still had it. This recipe is just as delicious without it.
- Cook together for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Then add toasted sesame seed oil, green onions, bok choy and spaghetti squash noodles (removed with a fork).
- Add liquid aminos (for salt) and pepper (adjust to your liking).
- Add desired amount of Asian hot sauce (sriracha).
- Cook together for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve with lemon slices (for added tang to the soup), crusty bread, vegan sandwiches, or crackers.