This post is dedicated to all the Mellow-Mushroom-tempeh-hoagie lovers!
Seriously, I love the tempeh hoagies at Mellow Mushroom…even some of my meat-eater friends order the vegan hoagies over the non-vegan hoagies. They are just THAT awesome! Note: always ask the server to “veganize” the hoagies and pizzas….sometimes they don’t know (ex: the pesto sauce in Mellow Mushroom for this hoagie is not vegan).
I just want to eat the tempeh hoagies from Mellow Mushroom EVERY SINGLE DAY, but that is not practical. So, I decided to try to replicate the sandwich so my family and I can have it all the time ;).
Serves 4-6 people
- 2 packages of organic tempeh (sliced into 1 inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup of organic teriyake sauce
- 2 small organic bell peppers (chopped)
- 1 small organic onion (sliced)
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 package of sliced organic mushrooms (8 oz)
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- clover sprouts or alfalfa sprouts for topping (optional…I didn’t have any today, but it goes well with this sandwich)
- Vegan Daiya mozarrela “cheese” for topping (optional)
- 4-6 whole wheat french bread (vegan and all natural)
Ingredients for Pesto Mayo:
- 4 tablespoons of vegan pesto (you can buy this at the store or make it yourself, recipe is HERE).
- 4 tablespoons of Vegenaise (vegan mayo)
Note: It helps to make large batches of pesto (stored in the freezer). I like to pull out a few ice cubes of pesto for dip, dressings, spreads, etc. And, if pesto pasta is requested for lunch or dinner, I can just boil the pasta and heat up the pesto….super fast and easy meal!
- Marinate the tempeh in teriyake sauce for a couple of hours.
- Chop, slice, and dice your veggies.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan and add onions and garlic.
- Sweat the onions for a little bit and then add the bell peppers and tempeh (with teriyake sauce).
- Cook this for around 10 minutes or until the moisture from the teriyake sauce is almost gone.
- Then, add mushrooms.
- Cook for another few minutes.
- Set aside.
- Make the pesto mayo: combine pesto sauce and vegan mayo.
- Toast bread.
- Spread pesto mayo on bread.
- Add tempeh stir fry.
- Serve with colorful french fries!