This post is dedicated to all the Mellow-Mushroom-tempeh-hoagie lovers!
Seriously, I love the tempeh hoagies at Mellow Mushroom…even some of my meat-eater friends order the vegan hoagies over the non-vegan hoagies. They are just THAT awesome! Note: always ask the server to “veganize” the hoagies and pizzas….sometimes they don’t know (ex: the pesto sauce in Mellow Mushroom for this hoagie is not vegan).
I just want to eat the tempeh hoagies from Mellow Mushroom EVERY SINGLE DAY, but that is not practical. So, I decided to try to replicate the sandwich so my family and I can have it all the time .
Serves 4-6 people
- 2 packages of organic tempeh (sliced into 1 inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup of organic teriyake sauce
- 2 small organic bell peppers (chopped)
- 1 small organic onion (sliced)
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 package of sliced organic mushrooms (8 oz)
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- clover sprouts or alfalfa sprouts for topping (optional…I didn’t have any today, but it goes well with this sandwich)
- Vegan Daiya mozarrela “cheese” for topping (optional)
- 4-6 whole wheat french bread (vegan and all natural)
Ingredients for Pesto Mayo:
- 4 tablespoons of vegan pesto (you can buy this at the store or make it yourself, recipe is HERE).
- 4 tablespoons of Vegenaise (vegan mayo)
Note: It helps to make large batches of pesto (stored in the freezer). I like to pull out a few ice cubes of pesto for dip, dressings, spreads, etc. And, if pesto pasta is requested for lunch or dinner, I can just boil the pasta and heat up the pesto….super fast and easy meal!
- Marinate the tempeh in teriyake sauce for a couple of hours.
- Chop, slice, and dice your veggies.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan and add onions and garlic.
- Sweat the onions for a little bit and then add the bell peppers and tempeh (with teriyake sauce).
- Cook this for around 10 minutes or until the moisture from the teriyake sauce is almost gone.
- Then, add mushrooms.
- Cook for another few minutes.
- Set aside.
- Make the pesto mayo: combine pesto sauce and vegan mayo.
- Toast bread.
- Spread pesto mayo on bread.
- Add tempeh stir fry.
- Serve with colorful french fries!
Sweet potato, yellow potato, and purple potato with a little bit of garlic, olive oil, and salt. baked in a 400 degree oven.
I just love this beautiful, healthy, and delicious raw, vegan dish! It is light, tasty, flavorful, and very filing!
I got the inspiration to do this from my sister, Ivy. She suggested using collard greens instead of tortillas for wraps. And, to incorporate my pâté into the wrap, so here it is!
Ingredients for pâté:
- 1 cup of raw nuts (I used a combination of cashews and almonds)…soak the nuts overnight…
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons of onion
- 2 tablespoons of liquid aminos (if you don’t have this, use Celtic sea salt)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 carrots
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons of dulse granules (optional)
Other ingredients for Wrap:
- 4 to 5 large leaves of collard greens
- 1 bell pepper (sliced length wise)
- Sprouts (alfalfa, clover, or mung bean)
- Sliced tomatoes
- Throw all ingredients for the pâté in a food processor and blend together for a couple of minutes.
- Slice off the large vein on the collard green leaves.
- Spoon the pate into the collard green.
- Add veggies to the pâté (bell pepper, sprouts, tomato, etc.)
- Roll it up like a burrito.
- You can eat it as is or dip it in this Raw Vegan Ranch dip.
OH, how I love healthy!
Tofu nuggets with Sweet Potato Tater Tots
I wanted to use up the panko crumbs that I had left over from the hummus stuffed jalapeno poppers I made last month and I had a package of firm tofu in the fridge, so I decided to make a crunchy breaded tofu nuggets.
My daughter and I loved these! You can dip the tofu in vegan honey mustard (1 tsp agave, 2 tablespoons of mustard, and 1 tablespoon of vegan mayo), bbq sauce, hot sauce, or even just ketchup. It is simple and easy.
My daughter got a kick out of helping me make these.
- 1 package of of firm tofu (frozen, thawed, and pressed)
- 1 cup of unsweetened non dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable bouillon
- 3 tablespoons of mustard
- 1 cup of panko bread crumbs (for vegan and whole wheat, use Ians)
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- salt and pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Take your firm tofu (frozen, thawed, and pressed…this is for better texture), and slice it into 1 inch cubes.
- Mix vegan “milk”, vegetable bouillon, and mustard together.
"milk" mixture, whole wheat flour, and panko bread crumbs ready!
- Dip cubed tofu into the “milk” mixture.
- Roll it into whole wheat flour.
- Dip into the milk mixture again.
- Roll in panko crumbs.
- Place onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes
- Enjoy with your hot sauce, vegan ranch dressing, ketchup, mustard, etc.