Here is a very easy, delicious, and nutrient rich soup! It is perfect to serve up on a cool fall day, like today.
Broccoli health benefits: vitamin C, folic acid, calcium, fiber, vitamin A, antioxidants, and more! (note: broccoli is also known to have cancer fighting properties)
Leeks health benefits: fiber, folic acid, Vitamin B6, manganese, and iron.
- 4 leeks
- 1 small yellow squash (optional…I just threw this in for added benefit )
- 1 16oz bag of frozen broccoli (you can also use fresh…it just wasn’t available at the health food store the other day)
- 1/2 of an onion
- 6 cups of vegetable broth
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1.5 cups of cooked barley pearls (around 1/2 cup of uncooked barley pearls)…if you don’t have barley, you can also use cooked quinoa.
- Salt and pepper
- Cook barley (boil for 40 minutes).
- Cut leeks and wash in a large bowl to remove dirt.
- Put your broth, leeks, broccoli, onion and garlic in a large pot.
- Let it simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Set aside and let it cool for a few minutes.
- In your VITAMIX, pour in your soup.
- Add cooked barley.
- Blend together.
Serve and enjoy!
Check out my other broccoli recipe: