One of my facebook friends posted this link. http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/7-all-time-favorite-recipes-veganized.html, which showcased some of the traditional favorite meals but veganized, and it inspired me to make one of them….some Reuben Sandwiches! So, I went to the health food store to get the ingredients. But, apparently vidalia onions and vegan Swiss “cheese” were unavailable. So, I just improvised and altered the recipe a little.
And, I must say, it was filling and delicious!
- 8 oz tempeh (thinly sliced (1/2 of an inch)
- 1/2 of a yellow onion (sliced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 slices of rye bread
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of thousand island dressing
- Vegan pepper-jack cheese (I used DAIYA)
- NOT BEEF bouillon (you can also use NOT CHIKN bouillon) to flavor the tempeh.
- 1 or 3 tablespoon of water (to help dissolve the bouillon cube)
Thousand Island Dressing
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup of relish
- In your pan, heat olive oil, then add garlic and onions.
- Cook for about a minute, then add tempeh and bouillon. Note: Start with half of a bouillon, then add more for desired saltiness. Note: you can also add a little bit of water to dissolve the bouillon.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes in medium heat.
- Stir and don’t burn the tempeh and onions!
- Make your thousand island dressing.
- Spray a little olive oil on your griddle, and place rye bread on it. Add cheese to bread and toast bread for a minute or so (in med to high heat).
- Spread thousand island on the other bread.
- Put cooked tempeh and sauerkraut on the cheesy bread.
- Put the sandwich together.
- Serve immediately,