Ahhhhh, fall! I love this time of year!…cool weather, multicolored trees, Halloween, scary stories, costumes, etc. I also love fall produce!….apples, turnips, sweet potatoes, pumpkins, squash, pomegranates, etc.
This morning I decided to use the produce I received from my CSA (community supported agriculture). I was craving something with sweet potatoes, cinnamon, apples, and nuts. And, we love quionoa in this family. So, I threw it all together and made pudding.
Why I love this dish: packed with vitamins and minerals (vitamin A, C, omega 3s, etc), protein, and fiber. Click here to get a little info on sweet potatoes: Reasons to love sweet potatoes.
- 1 cup of organic cooked quinoa
- 1 med-large organic sweet potato
- 2/3 cup of organic applesauce
- 5 to 6 tablespoons of organic sucanat sugar or raw agave
- 1/2 cup of hemp milk
- 1/4 cup of organic raisins
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 2 pinches of nutmeg
- 1 pinch of salt
- Walnuts for topping
- Cook quinoa and set aside.
- Chop and cook sweet potato. I just covered it in water and boiled for about 10 minutes or so.
- After sweet potato is cooked, blend it with applesauce.
- Place blended sweet potato and apple back into pan.
- Add milk, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, raisins, and sugar.
- Mix it all together.
- Add quinoa.
- Cook together for a few minutes.
- Place in a bowl and top it off with walnuts (or pecans).