Today, my family harvested okras, eggplants, bell peppers, and jalapenos from our backyard. So, I decided to make something out of the okras and the bell peppers.
I like okra for many reasons. I like the way it tastes, it is packed with vitamin A, B, C, and K, its antioxidant properties, fiber, folates, iron, calcium, manganese, magnesium, and more. It is also said that okra helps reduce cancer. Click here for more info.
If you live in the South, you are probably familiar with this appetizer. The okra is usually dipped in buttermilk, deep fried, and then showered with salt. But, as always, I veganized and made it healthy for the consumption of my family (not drenched in oil, no cholesterol, not covered in salt, etc).
- 10 okras
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup of unsweetened hemp or almond milk
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup of panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon of Natural Ancient Sea Salt or Celtic Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning or any spicy seasoning blend
- Olive oil spray (see products)
- Preheat oven to 385 degrees.
- Slice okra into bite sized pieces (remove top)
- Mix salt and spices into the whole wheat flour.
- Dip in unsweetened dairy free milk (hemp or almond)
- Roll in whole wheat flour.
- Dip in unsweetened dairy free milk again.
- Roll in Panko bread crumbs.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Spray a TINY amount of olive oil on top.
- Place in the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Enjoy with dip!
Ingredients for Dip:
- 5 tablespoons of grapeseed oil VEGANAISE
- 5 tablespoons of Braggs Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 of a small bell pepper
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt