My husband and I love spicy! We have a jalapeno plant in the back yard that has produced so many peppers this summer. And, of course, we eat all of them up!
I used to make jalapeno poppers with Toffuti “cream cheese” (which are a lot healthier than the traditional fried poppers with the greasy/fatty real cheese). But, my husband suggested trying to make it even healthier. So, he gave me the idea of hummus in the jalapeno, and I am so glad he did, because this is wonderful and delicious!
*Jalapeno peppers are very good for you. It helps cure headaches, congestion, and it even helps fight off cancer!
*Garbanzo beans are also super healthy!
- Fire Roasted Tomato Hummus
- 10 to 15 jalapenos
- 2/3 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1/5 cups of Panko bread crumbs
- 1 to 1.5 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- Make hummus.
- Preheat oven to 385 degrees.
- Slice the top off the jalapenos, cut them in half (lengthwise), remove seeds and placenta. Note: if you like REALLY spicy poppers, you can add the seeds and jalapeno placenta to your hummus.
- Spoon hummus into jalapenos.
- Dip the jalapeno in the unsweetened nut milk (almond milk).
- Then, roll the jalapeno into the whole wheat flour.
- Dip it into the nut milk again.
- Then, roll into the panko bread crumbs.
- Place onto a slightly greased cookie sheet.
- Spray a little bit of olive oil onto the poppers (just a little bit!).
- Bake for 25 minutes.