So, my BFF and I went to Savannah, GA this past weekend for a mini vacation and we found this restaurant, Zunzi’s, that served delicious sandwiches. I had a sandwich very similar to this. It also had hummus and veggies in a delicious, toasted, crusty bread.
I was craving that sandwich today, so I made it for lunch….I just kinda improvised, since I don’t know what seasonings they used.
It is so flavorful and delicious! And, as always, it is healthy and filling!
Fire Roasted Tomato Hummus
- 1 can of garbanzo beans (drained)
- 1/2 a can of fire roasted tomatoes (7 oz.with liquid)
- 1 tablespoon of tahini
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoon of cumin
- +/- 1/2 teaspoon of celtic sea salt
- 3 cloves of garlic
Directions: Place all ingredients in the food processor and blend together for one to two minutes.
- 6 oz of portobello mushrooms (sliced)
- 4 sweet peppers or 2 bell peppers (sliced)
- 1/2 of a medium sized red onion (sliced)
- 1 to 1.5 cups of fresh spinach
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1.5 teaspoons of oregano
- 2 teaspoons (or more…depending on how salty you want it) of liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- In a hot pan, saute garlic and onions in the olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add sweet peppers/bell pepper and mushrooms.
- Add oregano, vinegar, liquid aminos, and pepper.
- Cook together for about 5 minutes.
- Add Spinach and cook for a minute.
- Toast your bread of choice (ciabatta, french baguette, or any chewy crunchy bread).
- Slice the bread and spread the fire roasted tomato hummus on to the bread.
- Place the mushroom and veggies in the sandwich.
- Serve with soup or salad.